Thursday, July 9, 2009

Ode to the Bistro





I began my love affair with French bistros in the summer of '04. I was living in Manhattan and New York the French bistro is ubiquitous, to say the least (or more specifically, steak frites, which apparently is a staple of the New Yorker's diet.). The first bistro I stumbled upon was Les Halles. A mere block from my apartment in lower Manhattan, it quickly became my Friday night regular spot. The steak frites was awesome. Ludovic, the french bartender, charmed me, but, I must say, I never grasped the significant of the hard-boiled eggs on the bar.

A few blocks away, was the legendary Odeon. That quicly became my Saturday night spot. Abdul, the handsome Morroccan bartender, kept me entertained, and I also had the good fortune of meeting Denzel Washington, while at the Odeon. But, I must say, I thought the food was better at Les Halles.

The jewel in Manhattan's bistro crown goes to Balthazar. Balthazar is breathtaking. It's got everything a good French bistro should have. Warm lighting, a beautiful room, accented with giant, gorgeous flower arrangements. And the food...amazing. Best escargot in the city. The skate wing and steak frites probably get tops in my book, too.

Since leaving New York, I have continued my love affair with the French bistro. In Atlanta, tho, we really only have one: FAB. And it is fabulous. Pistachio profiteroles? Are you kidding? Send me to heaven. I would say that we have growing list of restaurants that are more like cousins to the French bistro. Ecco, one L & my favorites, is sort of an Italian bistro. One Midtown Kitchen, sort of an American hipster cousin.

In Boston, I recently had lunch at Bouchee, a French bistro on Newbury St, and then had dinner at Aquitaine, a French bistro in the South End. Aquitaine was like a slightly gritty sister to a New York bistro.

I seek these restaurants out. In Vegas, we had dinner at Mon Ami Gabi at the Paris Hotel, so obviously that was intended to be a French bistro. Don't get me wrong, it was excellent. But in a Vegas kind of way.

We're going to Napa Valley next week. I made reservations at Bouchon (as you may recall I couldn't get into the French Laundry). We'll see how the west coast does the French bistro.

No comments:

Post a Comment