Friday, June 19, 2009

The Delano



I have never been a fan of the state of Florida. Sure, it has some beautiful beachs, but to get anywhere you have to drive at least 30 minutes on an eight-lane super highway, past a billion strip malls and gaudy chain restaurants. To me, Florida is largely a cultural wasteland.

And then I went to Miami. South Beach is like the anti-Florida. Cool, hip, happening spots, one after the other. It's pedestrian-friendly, too, which I think is the mark of a good city. And, oh, the pedestrians! My God, is there some good looking eye-candy strolling the streets of South Beach.

The jewel in the South Beach crown has got to be the Delano.

A few years ago, my husband and I were in Miami for New Year's Eve, which happens to be my birthday. When I began looking into New Year's Eve parties, I quickly discovered that we really couldn't afford any. For example, the Delano's New Year's Eve party was $900 per person and it was cash bar! (Nobu was $1200 a person.)

We decided to have lunch at the Delano instead. It was fabulous. Everything was all white and marble. Our adorable gay waiter treated us like celebrities even thou there were actual celebrities in the restaurant at the same time. And, he brought me a complimentary birthday dessert. How sweet!!!

The best thing, the very best thing, the thing that makes me want to go back was the mojitos. Sure, the food was good. But this was lunch and I had a cobb salad. But the mojitos! They were magic deliciousness. I don't know what they do to make them so good. Maybe it's the combination of the awesome sun-drenched, sleek surroundings, the beautiful clientele and the perfect mint leaves. I don't know but if someone knows the exact ingredients, please share!

That $900 party we missed: I read later that George Clooney was there. If I had known that, I would have sold my husband to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment