Friday, March 2, 2012

The Red Carpet




So there we are, walking down the red carpet. Lights flashing, fans cheering. When I hear a sudden commotion behind me, I turn and see George Clooney himself! Suddenly, I'm shaking his hand!!

Wait...what's going on here? Is this a dream? Someone pinch me please! It's not a dream. This is really happening! L & I are walking the red carpet at the 84th Annual Academy Awards. How the hell did I fall down this rabbit hole?

To answer that, I have go back to high school Spanish class. I sat next to a boy named Paul and we became fast friends. Who knew that he would end up being a very successful talent agent in Hollywood! And it was because of him that L & I ended up with tickets to the Oscars and the famed and exclusive Governors Ball. Now, that's a good a friend!

The Oscars were cool, no doubt. Walking the red carpet, even cooler. But the ball...that was a spectacle! About half the Oscar attendees get the privilege of attending the ball. It's in a giant ballroom adjacent to the Kodak Theater. Wolfgang Puck prepared 50 different entrees which were passed around on trays through out the night. Baby lamb chops, pizza topped with salmon and caviar, a baked potato stuffed with caviar, mini kobe beef sliders, lobster tacos, skewered shrimp tempura, lobster with coconut/curry sauce over jasmine rice..to name a few. Upon arriving at the ball, we had some difficulty getting any food (and we were starving after 3 plus hours of Oscar!) But eventually, things settled down and the food started coming quickly. We also found a giant sushi bar with fresh octupus sliced to order (Oh my god, that was cool!) And the dessert bar..whoa! Gold dipped chocolate Oscars, a chocolate mousse dessert done in 3D..that was pretty spectacular. My one regret is that I didn't eat more desserts! (Damn obsession with not gaining weight!!) Of course, the alcohol was flowing. But the best of the drinks was the Moet-Chandon Nectar Imperial! Mmmmmm.

Celebrities were floating around and I was floating on air. Tony Bennett said "I Left My Heart in San Francisco." L & I stayed still the very end and then Paul dragged us to another Hollywood party. This one, not as elaborate but a younger, little bit wilder of a scene.

What a night to remember! What a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! I'm not sure exactly what I did in high school to earn Paul's enduring friendship and generosity, but I'm sure glad I sat next to him in Spanish class. Muchos gracias, mi amigo Pablo. I am forever indebted to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment